Police have issued a warning to Cristiano Ronaldo after video showed him allegedly slamming a phone out of an Everton fan's hand after a game at Goodison Park.
"We can confirm that a 37-year-old male voluntarily came and was interviewed under caution in relation to an allegation of assault and criminal damage," Merseyside Police said in a statement.
The incident allegedly occurred after the Saturday, April 9 football game between Everton and Manchester United at Goodison Park.
"Conditional prudence has been used to handle the situation. The situation is now over."
A caution does not constitute a criminal conviction; rather, it serves as a formal warning that may be cited as proof of a person's poor character if they are later charged with another crime.
After a video showing Ronaldo appearing to knock the little boy's phone out of his hand as he limped off into the tunnel surfaced online, police opened an inquiry.
The fan's mother had earlier stated that the event had left her 14-year-old son Jake Harding "bruised" and "in full shock."
At the time, Sarah Kelly told the Liverpool Echo that the adolescent with autism was "very angry" about what had happened and that it had "totally put him off" attending another game.
The Portuguese striker apologized for his "outburst" after the incident and extended an invitation to the fan to see a game at Old Trafford "as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship."
He said on Instagram that dealing with emotions through trying times like the one we are going through is never simple.
However, we must constantly show patience, respect, and lead by example for all the young people who enjoy the wonderful game.

